Maintenance Technicians of the Future: Greater Training, More Jobs and Higher Salaries
Maintenance Technicians of the Future: Greater Training, More Jobs and Higher Salaries

Maintenance Technicians of the Future: Greater Training, More Jobs and Higher Salaries

The misconception that pilots are the only part of aviation suffering from a shortage

While the pilot shortage is one of the most pressing issues facing today’s staffing challenges, it often distracts from another specialty whose workforce shortage is equally dire to the long-term health of aviation—Aviation Maintenance Technicians (AMTs). Prior to the pandemic, the aviation industry was already experiencing a shortage of AMTs; however, after COVID-19 hit the nation, this shortage became more prominent and slowly overtook the pilot shortage. According to Boeing’s Pilot and Technician Outlook 2022-41, there will be a projected global demand for 610,000 civil aviation AMTs over the next 20 years (Orloff, 22). The consensus in the session was clear: Filling the much-needed pilot slots is meaningless unless a new AMT is added to the workforce.

The first step in changing the shortage of aviation technicians

The stigma surrounding the idea that those wishing to pursue a career as an aircraft mechanic are better off maintaining a four-year degree is inaccurate. It’s not about the type of schooling but about finding the right fit for the individual. National Business Aviation Association’s (NBAA) director, Stewart D’Leoon, agrees that mandating someone choose one or the other while ignoring what will suit a student best is the wrong way to attract talent (Orloff, 2022). More than 124 schools in the U.S. offer degrees in AMT, and more than 400 offer related certificates or diplomas. All 50 states have at least one school offering training in this field. Changing the thinking around the type of schooling is the first step in growing the number of aircraft technicians.

The fear of having to relocate is false!

Training and jobs in the aviation maintenance industry are easier to get than people imagine and come with perks. Large corporations, such as major commercial airlines, account for only 20% of the worldwide demand for technicians. The remaining 80% of jobs are all with smaller facilities and far more localities and communities than people imagine. You don’t have to relocate to a large city or work in an enormous aircraft plant to have a rewarding career in aviation conceptualize. It’s easy to only picture the glamorous life of a pilot, but a career as an AMT shouldn’t be overlooked.

Incentives for returning AMTs

Some companies offer incentives and increased pay to attract interest in pursuing a career in aviation maintenance and increase employment. Constant Aviation is a company that services private jets recently just employed this tactic. The company offers qualified veterans a 10% pay increase and a $15,000 signing bonus.

Are you the answer to fixing the shortage?

While many people are attracted to the glamour of being a pilot, becoming an aircraft maintenance technician (AMT) can be both fulfilling and rewarding. The job market for AMTs has never been better—why? Because of the high demand for AMTs with no end in sight. The best part is that you don’t have to relocate; companies offer incentives, and you can go to a two-year trade school. Don’t wait! See job listings at today.


Orloff, M. (2022, October 19). You thought the pilot shortage was bad? try technicians. Aviation Week Network. Retrieved October 19, 2022, from

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *